13 Days Sumatra Orangutans Lakes, Volcanoes, Trekking.
The Real North Sumatra. Lake Toba, Berestagi, Bukit Lawang, Batu Katak, Batu Kapal, Tangkahan
Group Tour Start Dates
Sunday 20 Aug 2017
Sunday 3 September 2017
Sunday 1 October 2017
Sunday 5 November 2017
Sunday 10 December 2017
Price $1650 AUD per person own room. $1350 AUD per person if you share with a friend
DAY 1. Sun. Pick up by your guide at 9am from your Medan hotel, travel to Lake Toba, sightseeing on the way. Arrive at Parapat and take the ferry to Samosir Island. Accommodation on the edge of Lake Toba.
DAY2. Mon. Day at Lake Toba. Visit local Batak king’s residence (Raja Siallagan). Choose what you would like to do for the rest of the day (at your cost) walk around the local village, hire a bicycle, or just chill out by the lake. Accommodation Lake Toba
DAY3. Tues. Free day in Lake Toba to explore and relax Accommodation LakeToba.
DAY 4. Wed. After breakfast leave for 3-4 hour drive to Berestagi. stopping at the magnificent Sipiso Piso waterfall en route. Visit a traditional Batak house and village(Purba) on the way. Afternoon visit Gundaling lookout to the volcanoes. Accommodation Berestagi Hotel.
DAY 5. Thurs. Visit the fruit and flower markets and Buddist Temple in the morning, leave Berestagi to drive to Bukit Lawang Guest House (7 -8 hour drive). Arrive early evening and check into your guest house.
Day 6 and 7 Fri and Sat. Bukit Lawang Optional Activities (costs extra) or choose a rest day. Min two people per activity. Accommodation Bukit Lawang Guest House. Your choice of;
- Optional 2 day adrenalin pumping white water rafting and camping adventure from Berestagi to Bukit Lawang (additional cost 3M IDR pp, min persons 4, replaces days 5 and 6)
- 2 day, full day or Overnight Jungle Trek 1.35M IDR min 3 ( day 2 and day 3).
- Free day for shopping in the village or chilling out by the river
- In morning leave for Tangkahan elephants in the morning (not on Fridays, 2.5 hour drive on mostly dirt road) to arrive late morning, early afternoon elephant washing and walking with the elephants adventure. Min 2. Cost 1.5M IDR pp for elephant wash and walk 0.75M IDR for elephant wash only.
- Tubing to a waterfall at Tangkahan with lunch (500.000 IDR pp)
- ½ day tubing on the Bohorok river 500.000 pp with lunch (min 2 people)
- Visit bat cave and Landark river 3-4 hours (250.000 IDR pp min 2)
- Half day village tour by bicycle, motor bike or becak (tuk tuk). Tour to see village life, rice fields, bamboo weaving, tofu and brown sugar processing. (Cost 250.000 IDR pp)
- Fruit vegetable and rubber market visit on Fridays in Bukit Lawang
- Arrange a massage late afternoon/early evening (200.000 IDR pp)
- Art lesson make a Batik t-shirt or canvas at Batu Kapal (250.000 pp)
- Cooking with the locals. Informal Indonesian cooking class at Batu Kapal (400.000 pp)
- Bird and nature walk at Batu Kapal (3 hours 550.000 pp)
- Walk to waterfall at Batu Kapal (POA)
- Guitar and bonfire in evening at Batu Kapal
- Visit Volunteer English Class at Selang Pangeran as part of Pack for a Purpose Program and help with an English lesson (school supplies donation) Walk or by motor bike (1/2 day. cost of guide and transport)
- Plant a tree as part of the local reforestation program (150.000 IDR pp)
- Hot springs visit – full day trip. 1M IDR pp (min 2 people)
- White water rafting full day trip (cost 2M IDR pp min persons 2)
- Visit the second largest waterfall in Sumatra – full day trip 3 hours each way. (1M IDR pp min 2 people)
- Day trip to Batu RongRing, new ecotourism area – full day POA (maybe traditional medicine and traditional cooking class)
Day 8. Sun. This is the start of the 3 day villages walk. In the morning head off on orangutan jungle trek (chicken trek) in Gunung Leuser National Park via rubber plantation for wildlife & orangutan spotting. Continue on to walk to Batu Kapal either along the river (easy) via bat cave if you would like to have a look (cost of entry not included) When you arrive in Batu Kapal, explore Ship cave, swim in the river or do some fishing. Accommodation Batu Kapal guesthouse accommodation.
Day 9. Mon. Opportunity to make your own batik t-shirt this morning (cost not included 250.000 IDR pp) or do an informal cooking class in the afternoon for dinner (400.000 IDR pp min 2). Try your hand at fishing Sumatran style. Relax in the river. Guitar around the campfire in the evening or go on a night walk. Accommodation Batu Kapal guesthouse accommodation.
Day 10. Tues. Head off mid morning to Selang Pangeran river past villages, rivers and farm land (2 hour walk). Help teach English to local children 2-4pm. Accommodation Selang Pangeran school house or home stay.
Day 11. Wed. This morning donate and plant a tree for you and your family as part of Jungle Eddies reforestation conservation program (150.000 IDR per tree) or visit local waterfall (100.000 IDR pp). After lunch continue trek to Batu Katak (approx 2 hour walk) past villages, rivers and farm land. Walk to the Berkeil river to raft tube to the Batu Katak guest house (approx 1.5 hours tubing on the river through some beautiful scenery). Accommodation Batu Katak Guest House.
Day 12. Thurs. Early morning walk to spot wildlife and hopefully gibbon along the base of the hills, followed by a walk back through the village. Afternoon Option – opportunity to help with a children’s English lesson at the Tiger House 2-4pm if a volunteer school day. Also optional activities of cooking class (400.000pp), massage (150.000 pp) and traditional sauna (150.000 pp) Accommodation Batu Katak Guest House.
Day 13. Fri. In morning check out to drive to Medan airport or Medan hotel via grand palace and summer palace if enough time.