2018 May Sumatra Tour for either 8 or 13 days – The Real North Sumatra. Lakes and Volcanoes, white water rafting and so much more. Visit Bukit Lawang, Batu Katak, Batu Kapal, Batu Rongring, Tangkahan, Lake Toba and Berestagi.
The 2018 May Sumatra Tour is 13 Days 12 Nights – 19.5M IDR (for own room, approx $1950 AUD depending on exchange rate. Twin rate available 16.5M IDR approx $1650 AUD if you share room with a friend)
13 Days 12 Nights – The Real North Sumatra. Lake Toba, Berestagi, Bukit Lawang,
Orangutans, Elephants, Lakes and Volcanoes
Arrive Sunday 20 May 2018.
13 Days 12 Nights – The Real North Sumatra. Lake Toba, Berestagi, Bukit Lawang, Tangkahan and Batu Rongring
DAY 1. Sun 20 May. Arrive airport Kuala Namu Airport Singapore SQ5238 7.20pm and transfer to Crew hotel that night (near airport).
DAY 2. Mon 21 May. After breakfast, pick up by your guide at 9am. travel to Lake Toba, sightseeing on the way. Arrive at Parapat and take the ferry to Samosir Island. Accommodation on the edge of Lake Toba.
DAY3. Tues 22 May. Lake Toba. Visit local Batak king’s residence (Raja Siallagan) and traditional weaving. Choose what you would like to do for the rest of the day (at your cost) walk around the local village, hire a bicycle, or just chill out by the lake. Option to visit batak dancing or Tomok markets. Accommodation Lake Toba
DAY 4. Wed 23 May. 4 After breakfast leave for 3-4 hour drive to Berestagi, stopping at the magnificent Sipiso Piso waterfall en route. Visit a traditional Batak house and village on the way ( Raja Purba and Bolan House). Afternoon visit Gundaling lookout to the volcanoes, fruit and flower markets, small museum, buddist temple and/or hotsprings. Choose 2. Accommodation Berestagi Hotel.
DAY 5. Thurs 24 May. Wake up early around 5am for a morning for optional sunrise climb of Sibayak volcano (450.000 IDR pp 3 hours return) Leave Berestagi at 8 or 9am for a 4wd adventure (4 hours) through villages and national park and trek (1 hour) to the Wampu River White Water Rafting start point, arriving late afternoon. Setup camp at this tranquil spot on the river. Time to swim and cool off in the river or try your hand at fishing before dinner (lunch, dinner included).
DAY 6. Fri 25 May. After breakfast, start your adrenalin pumping white water rafting adventure (approx 7 hours) down the Wampu River through the rapids and jungle to Bohorok. Do some bird and animal spotting along the way. Stop at the thermal springs in the river. Have a picnic lunch Indonesian style by a waterfall before continue rafting to Bohorok where you will be met by your pickup truck and transported to your guest house in Bukit Lawang. (breakfast and lunch included)
Day 7. Sat 26 May. This morning head off on morning orangutan jungle trek in Gunung Leuser National Park via rubber plantation for wildlife & orangutan spotting. Go to On the Rocks to buy a cool drink and your lunch on the way back to Bukit Lawang. Option to walk through the village and shops on way back to guest house. At approximately 3-4pm collect your bags and continue on to Batu Kapal, approx 1 hour walk or go by motor bike (motor bike extra cost $20 per person, porter $10 per bag) to arrive at this hidden jungle paradise. When you arrive in Batu Kapal, explore and swim in the river or do some fishing. (Option of a full day trek ($45 pp extra) or overnight jungle trek ($120 pp extra, min 2 people) to Batu Kapal arriving on Day 8. Accommodation Batu Kapal Guest House
DAYS 8 9 and 10. Batu Kapal Guest House. Choose from the optional activities below.
1. Full day activity. Walking and Swimming with the Water buffalo to the Selang Pangeran Waterfall (easy 1.5-2 hour walk one way. Fitness average). Option to help teach the kids English at 3pm at the volunteer English school (Monday to Wednesdays), returning at 5pm by motor bike (price $95 pp plus donation for volunteer English school appreciated) .
2. Hot springs day trip by 4wd including lunch ($120pp min 2)
3. Rock scrambling open caving adventure at Batu Kapal Cave ( 2-3 hours. $45 IDR pp min 2).
4. Nature and wildlife walk (3 hours) to look for birds, animals, monkeys and orangutans in the trees along the Landak River ($45 pp).
5. Visit local Muslim Primary School in Bukit Lawang for a Pack for Purpose program ($25 pp motor bike transfer. School supplies donation please for one class room of 30 children)
6. 3 hour motor bike tour of the villages and rice fields, visit cottage industries, rice hulling and drying, palm sugar, tofu, bamboo weaving(price $55 pp).
7. Indonesian cooking lesson with Masno at 4pm in the afternoon with a shared dinner afterwards($45pp min 2).
8. Traditional dance lesson ($35 pp)
9. Traditional massage ($20 pp).
10. Art lesson to make your own Batik T-shirt (($30 pp approx 2 hours).
11. Traditional rice cooking in evening – prepare and cook rice in bamboo over fire ($20 per person)
12. Dawn and dusk nature walks for animal and bird spotting as part of the Batu Kapal Conservation Program – animal surveying and monitoring, approx 1.5 hour ($20 pp).
13. Help plant trees as part of the new Conservation Wildlife Corridor Biolink Project.
14. Bonfire and guitar in evening if not raining.
15. Relaxing, swimming and exploring the Landak River.
16. Donate and plant a tree as part of the Batu Kapal Reforestation Program (donation $15 per tree with proceeds going back to the conservation program)
17. Traditional sauna ($20 pp), meditation and relaxation basket (cushion, blanket and roll mat($10 pp) and secluded mediation and relaxation areas, carving and weaving demonstrations and lessons, jungle cinema, natural spring fed pool.
Day 11. Wed 30 May. At 9am drive to Batu Rongring today a new community ecotourism area (2 hour slow drive), arriving around 11am. Before lunch hike to the largest recorded tree in Sumatra (approx 30 minutes one way), the kapas pohon tree (26.9m circumference!), return for lunch at 1.30pm. At 3.30 pm traditional medicine class (Sarong to be worn). This evening night Spotlighting by motor bike – look out for porcupines and leopard cats! Accommodation Batu Rongring Eco huts (dinner included). Accommodation Batu Rongring Eco huts (lunch and dinner included).
Day 12. Thurs 31 May. After breakfast head off to Tangkahan. Mid morning float down the river in your tube to swim and relax at a beautiful waterfall and enjoy a delicious picnic lunch. Return by 3.30 to visit the Elephants to wash and bath with these gentle giants. Evening music at the guest house. (breakfast lunch included)
Day 13 Fri 1 June. This morning option to walk to small waterfall and hot spring in the river. Check out and drive to Medan airport at 11.30 (Singapore air flight SQ5237 8.05pm) or Medan hotel. If enough time to visit the summer palace and grand mosque on the way. Or continue on to your volunteer placement in Sumatra.
Itinerary includes all accommodation, car, driver, English speaking guide, activities & park entrance fees.
All meals are extra except where specified. You can pay for a porter to carry your pack on 3 day walk for 150.000 IDR per day. Please note there are no ATMs or credit card facilities. You will need to bring IDR cash with you.