8 Day group tour Sumatra orangutan nature culture trek
The Real North Sumatra. Bukit Lawang, Batu Katak, Batu Kapal
3 Day Village to Village Trek, Orangutans, Jungles Rivers, Tubing
Our Group Tour Start Dates
Sunday 13 Aug 2017
Friday 25 Aug 2017
Friday 8 September 2017
Friday 6 October 2017
Friday 10 November 2017
Friday 15 December 2017
Price $995 AUD per person own room or bring a friend and share a room for $850 AUD per person
Do you love nature and meeting the locals? Our Sumatra orangutan nature culture trek is our most popular trek!
DAY 1. Fri. Car transfer from Medan airport or accommodation to Bukit Lawang Guest House (4 hour drive). Arrive and check into your Bukit Lawang guest house. Afternoon to relax acclimatize or wander through the village or visit the national park information centre. Option to go to live music in the village on Saturday night.
Day 2. Sat. Bukit Lawang Optional Activities (costs extra) or choose a rest day. Min two people per activity. Accommodation Bukit Lawang Guest House. Your choice of;
- Overnight Jungle Trek 1.35M IDR min 3 ( day 2 and day 3).
- Free day for shopping in the village or chilling out by the river
- In morning leave for Tangkahan elephants in the morning (not on Fridays, 2.5 hour drive on mostly dirt road) to arrive late morning, early afternoon elephant washing and ride. Min 2. Cost 1.7M IDR pp for elephant wash and ride. 1M IDR pp for elephant wash only.
- ½ day tubing on the Bohorok river 500.000 pp with lunch (min 2 people)
- Visit bat cave and Landark river 3-4 hours (250.000 IDR pp min 2)
- Half day village tour by bicycle, motor bike or becak (tuk tuk). Tour to see village life, rice fields, bamboo weaving, tofu and brown sugar processing. (Cost 250.000 IDR pp)
- Arrange a massage late afternoon/early evening (200.000 IDR pp)
- Hot springs visit – full day trip. 1M IDR pp (min 2 people)
- White water rafting full day trip (cost 2M IDR pp min persons 2)
- Visit the second largest waterfall in Sumatra – full day trip 3 hours each way. (1M IDR pp min 2 people)
From Day 3-8 Jungles Villages and Rivers Trek. Sun. This is the start of the 3 day villages walk. In the morning head off on orangutan jungle trek (chicken trek) in Gunung Leuser National Park via rubber plantation for wildlife & orangutan spotting. Continue on to walk to Batu Kapal either along the river (easy) via bat cave if you would like to have a look (cost of entry not included) When you arrive in Batu Kapal, explore Ship cave, swim in the river or do some fishing. Accommodation Batu Kapal guesthouse accommodation.
Day 4. Mon. Opportunity to make your own batik t-shirt this morning (cost not included 250.000 IDR pp) or do an informal cooking class in the afternoon for dinner (400.000 IDR pp min 2). Try your hand at fishing Sumatran style. Relax in the river. Guitar around the campfire in the evening or go on a night walk. Optional massage in the evening (150.000 IDR pp).Accommodation Batu Kapal guesthouse accommodation.
Day 5. Tues. Head off mid morning to Selang Pangeran river past villages, rivers and farm land (2 hour walk). Help teach English to local children 3-4.30pmif a volunteer teaching day. Accommodation Selang Pangeran school house (back packer style accommodation).
Day 6. Wed. This morning donate and plant a tree for you and your family as part of Jungle Eddies reforestation conservation program (150.000 IDR per tree) or visit local waterfall (100.000 IDR pp). After lunch continue trek to Batu Katak (approx 2 hour walk) past villages, rivers and farm land. Walk to the Berkeil river to raft tube to the Batu Katak guest house (approx 1.5 hours tubing on the river through some beautiful scenery). Accommodation Batu Katak Guest House.
Day 7. Thurs. Early morning walk to spot wildlife and hopefully gibbon along the base of the hills, followed by a walk back through the village. Afternoon Option – opportunity to help with a children’s English lesson at the Tiger House 2-4pm if a volunteer school day. Also optional activities of cooking class (400.000pp), massage (150.000 pp) and traditional sauna (150.000 pp) tradional medicine class (250.000 IDR pp)Accommodation Batu Katak Guest House.
Day 8. Fri. In morning check out to drive to Medan airport or Medan hotel via grand palace and summer palace if enough time.
Itinerary includes all accommodation, car, driver, English speaking guide, activities & park entrance fees.
All meals are extra except where specified. You can pay for a porter to carry your pack on 3 day walk for 150.000 IDR per day. Please note there are no ATMs or credit card facilities. You will need to bring IDR cash with you.