8 Day group tour Sumatra orangutan nature and culture trek
The Real North Sumatra. Bukit Lawang, Batu Katak, Batu Kapal
3 Day Village to Village Trek, Orangutans, Jungles Rivers, Tubing
Our next guaranteed departure dates
Departs every Friday Saturday and Sunday.
2018 departures January 5,6,7, February 2,3,4, March 2,3,4, April 6,7,8, May 4,5,6, June ,8,910, July 6,7,8, August 3,4,5, September 5,6,7, October 1,2,7 Nov 2,3,4, Dec 1,2,7
Price $995 AUD per person own room or bring a friend and share a room for $850 AUD per person
Do you love nature and meeting the locals? Our Sumatra orangutan nature culture trek is our most popular trek!
DAY 1. Fri. Car transfer from Medan airport or accommodation to Bukit Lawang Guest House (4 hour drive). Arrive and check into your Bukit Lawang guest house. Afternoon to relax acclimatize or wander through the village or visit the national park information centre. Option to go to live music in the village on Saturday night.
Day 2. Sat. Bukit Lawang Optional Activities (costs extra) or choose a rest day. Min two people per activity. Accommodation Bukit Lawang Guest House. Your choice of;
- Overnight Jungle Trek 1.35M IDR min 3 ( day 2 and day 3).
- Free day for shopping in the village or chilling out by the river
- In morning leave for Tangkahan elephants in the morning (not on Fridays, 2.5 hour drive on mostly dirt road) to arrive late morning, early afternoon elephant washing and walking with the elephants adventure. Min 2. Cost 1.7M IDR pp for elephant wash and walking adventure. 1M IDR pp for elephant wash only.
- ½ day tubing on the Bohorok river 500.000 pp with lunch (min 2 people)
- Visit bat cave and Landark river 3-4 hours (250.000 IDR pp min 2)
- Half day village tour by bicycle, motor bike or becak (tuk tuk). Tour to see village life, rice fields, bamboo weaving, tofu and brown sugar processing. (Cost 250.000 IDR pp)
- Arrange a massage late afternoon/early evening (200.000 IDR pp)
- Hot springs visit – full day trip. 1M IDR pp (min 2 people)
- White water rafting full day trip (cost 2M IDR pp min persons 2)
- Visit the second largest waterfall in Sumatra – full day trip 3 hours each way. (1M IDR pp min 2 people)
Day 3. Jungles Villages and Rivers Trek. Sun. This is the start of the 3 day villages walk. In the morning head off on orangutan jungle trek in Gunung Leuser National Park via rubber plantation for wildlife & orangutan spotting. Continue on to walk to Batu Kapal either along the river (easy) via bat cave if you would like to have a look (cost of entry not included) When you arrive in Batu Kapal, explore and swim in the river or do some fishing. Accommodation Batu Kapal guesthouse accommodation.
Day 4. Optional activities, morning dusk and dawn 1.5 hour nature walks as part of the Batu Kapal conservation program to identify and record animals as part of this program (250.000 IDR pp per walk), participate in the Wildlife Biolink Corridor tree planting program (donation of 150.00 IDR per tree), 2-3 hours rock scrambling and open caving (450.000 IDR pp), make your own batik t-shirt this morning (cost not included 350.000 IDR pp), afternoon traditional cooking lesson to share for dinner (450.000 IDR pp min 2), 3 hour villages and rice fields tour by motor bike (550.000 IDR pp). Try your hand at fishing Sumatran style (200.000 IDR). Evening Massage (200.000 IDR pp) Explore and relax in the river and small waterfall. Guitar around the campfire in the evening or go on a 1.5 hour night walk (250.000 IDR pp). Accommodation Batu Kapal guesthouse accommodation.
Day 5. Head off mid morning to Selang Pangeran river past villages, rivers and farm land (2 hour walk). Option to walk and swim with the water buffaloes as part of this walk (extra 450.000 IDR pp). Help teach English to local children 3-4pm if its a volunteer English lesson day. Accommodation Selang Pangeran school house hostel style accommodation.
Day 6. This morning option to visit local waterfall (350.000 IDR pp). After lunch continue trek to Batu Katak (approx 2 hour walk) past villages, rivers and farm land. Walk to the Berkeil river to raft tube to the Batu Katak guest house (approx 1.5 hours tubing on the river through some beautiful scenery). Accommodation Batu Katak Guest House.
Day 7. Early morning walk to spot wildlife and hopefully gibbon along the base of the hills, followed by a walk back through the village. Afternoon Option – opportunity to help with a children’s English lesson at the Tiger House 3-4.30pm if a volunteer school day. Also optional activities of cooking class (450.000pp), massage (200.000 pp) and traditional sauna (200.000 pp) Accommodation Batu Katak Guest House.
Day 8 Fri. In morning check out to drive to Medan airport or Medan hotel via grand palace and summer palace if enough time
Or continue on to your 2 week Sumatra volunteer placement at the Batu Kapal Conservation Project.
Itinerary includes all accommodation, car, driver, qualified, experienced English speaking guide, included activities (optional activities extra as specified) & park entrance fees.
All meals are extra except where specified (very affordable). You can pay for a porter to carry your pack on 3 day walk for 200.000 IDR per day.