11 Days 10 Nights. Orangutans, Elephants, Jungles, Largest Tree in North Sumatra, Rivers and Villages Trek.
This Ultimate Nature Discovery Tour is perfect for nature lovers that like to get away from the beaten tourist track and trek through jungles to villages.
While trekking through the jungle on this Ultimate Nature Discover Tour, you will be immersed in nature, hike to the largest recorded tree in North Sumatra and visit new community run ecotourism projects.
DAY 1. This morning your guide will meet you at your Medan accommodation at 9am to drive you to Tangkahan (Medan accommodation at your cost). Airport pick up can also be arranged depending on arrival time (5-6 hour drive) . Rest of the day at your leisure to explore and swim in the river, visit small hot spring in the river and small water fall. Tangkahan Guest House.
DAY 2 Fri 25 May. Morning elephant washing at 9am and tubing to waterfall at 10am with lunch. At around 2pm drive to Batu Rongring (approx 1.5 hours). Time to relax, explore and swim in the river. Night Spotlighting walk or by motor bike – look out for porcupines and leopard cats! Accommodation Batu Rongring Ecohuts (lunch and dinner included).
Day 3 Sat 26 May. This morning visit the large kapas pohon tree (26.9m circumference!), with the option to continue on to vertical cave. In the afternoon traditional medicine class (optional). Tree planting in the butterfly garden late afternoon (donation please to support this program. B L D included). This evening bonfire and guitar. Batu Rongring Ecohuts.
Day 4 Sun 27 May. Optional early rise for 6.30am hike (1hr) to see what birds & primates with breakfast along the river (cost extra). After breakfast head off to Gelugur hot springs (approx 1 hour). Enjoy sitting in the hotsprings, explore the river or walk to a little waterfall to swim. Mid afternoon drive (approx 2 hours) to Bukit Lawang and check into your guest house (B L included)
Day 5. Jungles, Villages and Rivers Trek. This is the start of your jungle rivers and villages walk. (Note – Your bags will be stored and portered to Batu Kapal) This morning head off on your over night orangutan jungle trek (average level of fitness trek) in Gunung Leuser National Park via rubber plantation for wildlife & orangutan spotting. After your jungle lunch you will leave the beaten tourist track behind and continue to hike further into the jungle to trek to Adi Black campsite for your overnight Camp on the Landak River. During your trek today will experience some steep climbs and ascents with a hand or two from your local guides. You will learn to navigate around tree roots and jungle vines with spectacular jungle views and plenty of stops for animal spotting to help you to acclimatise and adjust to the local conditions. Gunung Leuser National Park is mostly mountainous, covering a million hectares, straddling the borders of North Sumatra and Aceh provinces. You will have time to relax and bathe in the river before your evening dinner. You will be amazed at the delicious food your guides are able to cook up in the middle of the forest! Your tent each night will be a simple bamboo frame, covered with a plastic tarp. Jungle camp at Adi Black (L D included). If you prefer not to do an overnight jungle camp, you can hike directly to Batu Kapal and spend an extra day at the nature retreat.
Day 6. This morning after a hearty jungle breakfast you pack up camp and head off to Batu Kapal along the Landak River, this includes walking along the river and with a few river crossings. The Landak River is a gentle shallow safe river and you will traverse it with the assistance of your guides. Please make sure you have your river sandals handy today. Arrive early afternoon at Batu Kapal this hidden jungle paradise to settle into your guest houses. Rest of the day to relax or explore the local surrounds or swim in the river. Accommodation Batu Kapal Guest House. (B included)
DAYS 7 and 8. Batu Kapal Jungle Retreat. Choose from the optional activities below (you can add more days here if you have more time). Accommodation Batu Kapal guesthouse.
- Rock scrambling open caving adventure at Batu Kapal Cave ( 2-3 hours. $45 IDR pp min 2).
- Nature and wildlife walk (3 hours) to look for birds, animals, monkeys and orangutans in the trees along the Landak River ($45 pp).
- Visit green school by motor bike and help the kids at 3pm on Thursdays ($20 pp motor bike transfer plus donation).
- Visit local Muslim Primary School in Bukit Lawang for a Pack for Purpose program ($25 pp motor bike transfer. School supplies donation please for one class room of 30 children)
- 3 hour motor bike tour of the villages and rice fields, visit cottage industries, rice hulling and drying, palm sugar, tofu, bamboo weaving(price $55 pp).
- On Fridays, visit Gotong Royong rubber fruit and flower market for a walk around the market learning about the local spices, fruits and vegetables and enjoy the hustle and bustle of people going about their weekly shopping($45pp includes motor bike transfer. This can also be combined with villages tour above if done on a friday).
- Indonesian cooking lesson with Masno at 4pm in the afternoon with a shared dinner afterwards($45pp min 2).
- Traditional dance lesson ($35 pp)
- Traditional massage ($20 pp).
- Art lesson to make your own Batik T-shirt (($30 pp approx 2 hours).
- Traditional rice cooking in evening – prepare and cook rice in bamboo over fire ($20 per person)
- Dawn and dusk nature walks for animal and bird spotting as part of the Batu Kapal Conservation Program – animal surveying and monitoring, approx 1.5 hours ($20 pp).
- Help plant trees as part of the new Conservation Wildlife Corridor Biolink Project.
- Bonfire and guitar in evening if not raining.
- Relaxing, swimming and exploring the Landak River.
- Donate and plant a tree as part of the Batu Kapal Reforestation Program (donation $15 per tree with proceeds going back to the conservation program)
- 2 and 3 day jungle treks to Adi Back camp and Batu Gajah camp in the national park (POA).
- White water rafting full day trip on the Wampu River. 2 hour drive to Wampu River rafting start point in open air pick up truck (cost $195 pp min persons 2. Lunch included)
Day 9. Head off this morning to Selang Pangeran past villages, rivers and farm land (2 hour walk, some shallow easy river crossings). Option to walk and swim with the water buffaloes on this walk to Selang Pangeran (cost extra for water buffaloes 350.000 (approx $35 per water buffalo). Option to hike to local Selang Pangeran waterfall when you arrive (cost not included 450.000 IDR pp). Help teach English to local children 3-4pm if it’s a volunteer English lesson day (pack for a purpose school supply donation please). Accommodation Selang Pangeran school house hostel style accommodation.
Day 10. This morning hike to the Berkeil River (approx 2 hour walk) past villages, rivers and farm land to raft tube to the Batu Katak guest house (approx 1.5 hours tubing on the river through some beautiful scenery). Arrive early afternoon. Afternoon Option – opportunity to help with a children’s English lesson at the Tiger House 3-4.30pm if a volunteer school day (no cost, a donation or school supplies is appreciated). Also optional activities of traditional medicine lesson (cost not included 400.000pp), massage (cost not included150.000 pp) and traditional sauna (cost not included150.000 pp) Rest of day at your leisure Accommodation Batu Katak Guest House.
Day 11. Early morning walk to spot wildlife and hopefully gibbon along the base of the hills, followed by a walk back through the village. Return for lunch, then pack your bag to head back to Medan to your hotel (hotel at your cost) arriving early evening. If enough time to visit the summer palace and grand mosque on the way. Tour concludes today.