The Ultimate Jungle Nature Experience – Bukit Lawang and Batu Kapal Conservation Program
Our 5 day jungle explorer is designed for nature lovers who want to stay in the heart of the jungle surrounded by wildlife!
Day 1 Pick up from your Medan hotel or Medan airport today for 4-5 hour drive to Bukit Lawang. Settle into your guest house. Rest of the afternoon to explore the village and river or visit the national park visitor information center to learn about the animals and plants in the jungle . Bukit Lawang Guest House accommodation
Day2.This morning head off on your ½ day orangutan jungle trek. (option of a full day trek ($45 pp extra) or overnight jungle trek ($120 pp extra) Go to On the Rocks to buy a cool drink and your lunch on the way back to Bukit Lawang. Walk through the village and shops on way back to guest house. At approximately 3pm collect your bags and continue on to Batu Kapal, approx 1 hour walk or go by motor bike (motor bike extra cost $20 per person, porter $10 per bag) to arrive at this hidden jewel of the jungle. Sumatra Rainforest Eco Retreat (note you can also do an over night trek here for an additional $80 per person, min 3 people)
DAYS 3 and 4 (add extra days and activities here if you have more time). Sumatra Rainforest Eco Retreat. Choose from the optional activities below
- 2 and 3 day jungle treks to Adi Back camp and Batu Gajah camp in the national park (POA).
- Hot springs day trip by 4wd including lunch ($120pp min 2)
- Nature and wildlife walk (3 hours) to look for birds, animals, monkeys and orangutans in the trees along the Landak River ($55 pp).
- Visit jungle school by motor bike and help the kids at 2pm on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays ($20 pp motor bike transfer plus donation).
- On Friday, visit Gotong Royong rubber fruit and flower market for a walk around the market learning about the local spices, fruits and vegetables and enjoy the hustle and bustle of people going about their weekly shopping($45pp includes motor bike transfer).
- Visit local Muslim Primary School in Bukit Lawang for a Pack for Purpose program ($25 pp motor bike transfer. School supplies donation please for one class room of 30 children)
- 3 hour motor bike tour of the villages and rice fields, visit cottage industries, rice hulling and drying, palm sugar, tofu, bamboo weaving (price $55 pp).
- Indonesian cooking lesson in the afternoon with a shared dinner afterwards($55pp min 2).
- Traditional massage ($20 pp).
- Rock scrambling open caving adventure at Batu Kapal Cave ( 2-3 hours. $45 IDR pp min 2).
- Traditional rice cooking in evening – prepare and cook rice in bamboo over fire ($25 per person)
- Dawn and dusk walks for animal spotting as part of the Batu Kapal Conservation Program – animal surveying and monitoring, approx 1.5 hour ($45 pp).
- Donate and plant a tree as part of the as part of the Batu Kapal Reforestation Program (donation $15 per tree with proceeds going back to the conservation program)
- Bonfire and guitar in evening if not raining.
- Relaxing, swimming and exploring the Landak River.
Day 5/7. Check out today to drive to the airport or your Medan accommodation. Visit the Grand Mosque and Summer Palace if there is enough time.