8 Day Sumatra Highlights- 1/2 day Sumatra Orangutan Trek, Hot Springs & Waterfall, School Visit, Cooking Class, Market, 3 day Village walk with river tubing
Want to spot Sumatra Orangutans in the wild?
Love nature and want to explore the local villages? Then come on our 9 Day Sumatra Highlights Tour - including Elephants, 1/2 day Sumatra Orangutan Trek, Hot Springs, School Visit, Cooking Class, Market.
9 Days 8 Nights – The Real North Sumatra.
Bukit Lawang, Batu Katak, Tangkahan
Fitness level – easy. This tour is designed for those wanting a cultural leisurely holiday
DAY 1. Pick up from airport Kuala Namu or Medan accommodation. 4-5 hours drive to Tangkahan. In the afternoon, explore river, waterfall and hot springs or just chill out. Accommodation at Tangkahan.
Day 2. After breakfast morning elephant washing (elephant ride extra 850.000 pp and needs to be booked in advance and not available on Fridays). Optional activity late morning/early afternoon river tubing to a waterfall and swimming hole. Accommodation at Tangkahan.
Day 3. Morning drive to Bukit Lawang (approx 2.5 hours on bumpy road). Afternoon to relax and explore the river and village. Accommodation Bukit Lawang.
Day 4. After breakfast head off on a half day jungle trek in Gunung Leuser National Park to spot wildlife & orangutans. (Note an over night jungle trek can be done in place of day 5 optional activities at additional cost) Accommodation Bukit Lawang Guesthouse
DAY 5. Optional activities. Choose from the optional activities below. Accommodation Bukit Lawang Guesthouse
- 3-4 hour Bicycle or becak (tuk tuk) tour of village life, tour of rice fields, tofu and brown sugar processing
- Morning walk to fruit, vegetable and rubber market if it is a Friday
- Arrange a massage late afternoon/early evening
- Free day for shopping in the village and chilling out by the river
- Walk to Landark river and Batu Kapal for picnic lunch and visit bat cave on the way
- ½ day tubing on the Bohorok river with lunch or without lunch
- Visit the second largest waterfall in Sumatra – full day trip
- Full day white water rafting on the Marike River
Day 6. Full day 4WD trip to waterfall and hot spring with lunch. Late Accommodation Bukit Lawang guesthouse.
DAY 7. After breakfast check out from Bukit Lawang to go to a school visit as part of Pack for a Purpose Program (if a school day) drive to Batu Katak (approx 1 hour drive). Afternoon Indonesian cooking class and shared dinner. Accommodation Batu Katak.
DAY 8. Options for day in Batu Katak. Accommodation Batu Katak.
- Morning village walk or 1/2 day gibbon walk to spot wildlife ( possibly see gibbons, monkeys and maybe orangutan).
- Help the children at local volunteer English school at 3pm-4.30pm if its mon to wed (school supplies or clothes donations).
- Traditional medicine demonstration.
- Easy river walk and rubber tubing back to guest house.
- Traditional sauna or traditional massage.
Day 9. Leave Batu Katak drive to the airport or Medan accommodation, option to visit the grand mosque and summer palace if enough time. Tour concludes today.